Wednesday, December 25, 2013

What should I use to record Vocals and Piano at home?

best video camera for recording piano
 on best video camera for recording piano on Record Piano to Video Camera ...
best video camera for recording piano image
Q. I have a Youtube channel. I've been using my webcam to upload my music but the quality is TERRIBLE. My piano sounds like death. What are so inexpensive things I could use to record myself, and maybe sound a bit better? I have a nice video camera. But what about a microphone, or things like that..


Answer
If you're looking for something cheap, a USB mic is the way to go. Good ones: Blue Snowball, Blue yeti, AT2020.
A better but more expensive way:
Audio interface (Mackie Blackjack or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) + Blue encore 100

Message to Kalvin: Don't "thumb down" other answers just because you think your answer is the best. Of course the Snowball (and any other USB mic) won't get pro results, but it is cheap and is enough for someone who just want something better than a webcam mic.
In a perfect world everyone should be using a U87 connected to a UA preamp, but that's not how it works in the real world.

What do I need and how much do I need to be able to record music in my house?




skysky


I would like to start recording music w/ a laptop (singing + guitar + occasional piano). I've always heard of the macs and how great they are for musicians....but I'd like to hear some more opinions. Would buying mics/ video camera/ etc be better and more affordable? suggestions please.


Answer
There are so many answers to this question, but the first question to you would be how professional do you want your recordings to be and how big is your budget? A video camera is going to give you a very low end recording. There are a zillion software recording programs to use with computer recording. Probably the most popular right now is Pro Tools, but there are many others, each with it's own learning curve. There are also hard disk recorders that you can use independent of your computer and then transfer it to your computer is you like for editing. Many of these come with a built in cd drive in which you can master and burn a cd directly from the unit. Again, much like cars, there are the bare bones models and then there are the ones with all the bells and whistles. One thing for sure is that you need a really good mic and you need a fairly soundproof place to record vocals. A good mic can make or break a good recording. I have always been a pc person, though I have friends that swear by mac. I think it depends on what you are comfortable with because you can get great software for either. Do a little research before you invest a lot of money. You might try starting out on some used gear. Try ebay or your local music store. Good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment