Sunday, May 5, 2013

What is the best camcorder for a traveler?

Q. I want a video camera mainly to record my travels. I will need it to have excellent video quality and great zoom. I also would like it to be able to have many hours of video that would be as compact as possible. I would like it to work well in low light and have decent sound quality. I am a student, so I can't afford anything too expensive (over $600ish). Thanks!

A. If you're traveling, I'd go with a MiniDV or HDV camcorder. Hard drive camcorders are too fragile for my liking, and the fact that everything's in one place means you lose the lot if the camcorder's damaged or lost. DVD based camcorders are too awful to even consider!

Don't get suckered into choosing something based on its optical zoom - the higher zooms (say 25+) aren't that useful as the picture becomes too dim and unsteady. Make sure whatever you get feels right for you - you don't want to miss the shot of a lifetime because you couldn't find the right button!


Which Video camera should I buy for our family?
Q. I am looking for a video camera to buy for my teenage daughter (and the rest of the family) who enjoys creating movies on the computer. We had one, but there's no way to get the image onto the computer easily at home, so the new one should record to a memory card or we should be able to feed its data right into the computer. (the old one we could only do that with still shots) It also needs to have good sound quality and work well in low light conditions because I will be using it to record my partner's band's performances and we may use those for promotional purposes. Still shots are not required at all (never used it on the old camera, we've got another camera for that). It also needs to be tripod ready. Finally, it should be a good cost value because I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on this thing. Any suggestions?

A. the camcorders with the build in hard drives are good. i believe jvc makes some like jvc everio-g gz-mg37us about ($500) would have been one if i didnt get my sony. i have a Sony handy cam dcr-dvd405 about ($500) which i love a lot except the minidvd format. your videos can only be 30 mins long before switching to another dvd.


What is the best video camera with decent sound recording (fit for beginner movie making) for under $1000?
Q. I am primarily interested in basic filming equipment which would be used to film trips to haunted locations. These locations will often be very dark, so infrared, and decent low-light recording is a must.

Thanks!

A. The only camcorders that have a built-in infrared emitter are made by Sony and have the "SuperNightShot" or "NightShot" feature. If the feature is not listed, then the camcorder does not have the built-in emitter.

There is no consumer camcorder under $1,300 with "decent low light recording" behavior. The lenses and imaging chips are too small.

The least expensive Sony camcorder with an infrared emitter and a mic jack (required for any serious or semi-serious "film making") is the Sony HDR-HC9. As a miniDV tape based camcorder, transferring video (DV or HDV) to a computer requires a firewire cable to connect the camcorder's DV port to the computer's firewire port. USB will not work and USB-firewire converter/adapter/cable things won't work.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment