Saturday, April 20, 2013

What kind of video camera should I buy?

Q. I want a video camera to record singing videos for youtube, but I don't know what kind to get. My budget is under 300, and I want a camera that has really good focus. I've seen many videos where the camera has really good focus on the persons face, and then the background is kinda blurry/fuzzy. I really like that look, but many of the people say those are recorded on canon rebels. What kind of video camcorder has that feature? Please help!

A. All camcorders can do that - if the camera is close to the subject (you) and there is enough lighting on the subject. In your price range, basically all camcorder will be the same. dSLRs have a little more flexibility to provide "depth of field" but they are designed to capture still images. Video capture (and audio capture) are "convenience features".


How can I transfer something I recorded onto a vhs tape to my digital video camera?
Q. Someone used her video camera to record a performance for me. Her camera is old, so I couldn't put it directly from her camera to my computer, so I put it onto a vhs tape. Now my problem is trying to get it to my computer. I thought there was a way I could put it onto my (new) digital camera, then onto my computer. But for some reason it just isn't working out for me. Any suggestions?
Someone used her video camera to record a performance for me. Her camera is old, so I couldn't put it directly from her camera to my computer, so I put it onto a vhs tape. Now my problem is trying to get it to my computer. I thought there was a way I could put it onto my (new) digital camera, then onto my computer. But for some reason it just isn't working out for me. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but it is a mini dv camera.

A. Most video cameras come with video in ports. There should be a wire that splits into red (audio left), white (audio right) and yellow (video). Some have S-video input, this looks like a PS mouse connection.

Play the VHS tape on a VHS player.
Plug the 3 wires into the AUDIO OUT (L,R) and VIDEO OUT connections of the VHS player.
You should see the video appear on the digital camcorder. If not, there should be some mode setting.
Press record.

I hope that helps.


Is it illegal for store security cameras to record audio?
Q. Most stores have some sort of security system that involves video surveillance. But is it illegal for the cameras to also be recording audio - and the employees monitoring those cameras thus listening to private conversations? Or are customers foregoing such rights to privacy once they enter the store?

A. Yes, in some states it is illegal to record ANY person's voice without their consent. This is the law in Massachusetts, found under the wiretapping statutes. It doesn't matter if you're in public, on private property or in the back seat of a police car; recording your voice requires your consent (implied if not actual).

If there are signs or other notices specifically warning you, in your language and in Braille, that your entry into the store constitutes consent to be recorded, then they can raise that as their defense to criminal charges.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment