Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Would you recommend a bridge camera?




Em22


As part of my gap year I am going to South Africa next year for a conservation project. I really like taking photos however the only camera I've ever had is a 6MP compact Olympus camera. It's very easy to use and it still functions perfectly well, but I would like something slightly better for taking photos of the animals in Africa. As I am raising money to go on the project, I don't think I could afford a DSLR (and to be honest, I don't know much about camera types) but I've read that a bridge camera makes a good compromise and is more portable. I've found a good deal (at least I think it is) for a bridge camera - a Nikon L810 (16MP and 26x zoom) @ £139.99. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


Answer
Bridge cameras are a good choice of camera for many people. While dSLR cameras (and the actual lenses used) are optically better than a bridge camera and have much faster performance, bridge cameras are appealing to many people due to their cheaper all-in one price, their smaller/more lightweight size and their long telephoto zoom lens....and for places like Africa, you'll certainly appreciate a long lens.

A bridge camera is the same (optically) as a compact/point and shoot camera due to their very small image sensor. This also depends on the particular brand/model/processor of camera as not all brands/models are the same. Some are definitely better than others. So, due to the small sensor, don't expect amazing image quality/great ISO capability, particularly in lower light...or at the long end of the lens. They have a much longer zoom lens (24x, 30x optical, etc) so may also be referred to as a superzoom camera. Even though they have IS (image stabilization) you still need to be very careful handholding them at the long end...it's not easy to hold them steady enough, so mounting them on a tripod (with IS turned off) might be a good option. They also have full manual controls (a number of compact cameras also have these) which allows you to set your shutter speed and or aperture if you wish to.

Forget about the Nikon L810. It's NOT a bridge camera. It's a budget superzoom camera, nothing more. It doesn't have full manual controls, so is fully point and shoot. And, the image quality it produces matches it's ultra cheap price. So, I would avoid it if I were you.

Some good bridge cameras are...
Canon Powershot SX40 HS...approx. £270 (Amazon.uk)
Canon Powershot SX50 HS...approx. £385 (Amazon.uk)
Panasonic FZ150...approx. £330 (Amazon.uk)
Panasonic FZ200...approx. £439 (Amazon.uk)

There are many other bridge cameras available, so you may need to do some research for yourself. The above four would be on my short list because Canon is usually always a good choice (optically and processor wise). The Panasonics rate highly and have super fast AF and allow full manual control over aperture etc. while recording video. This link might give you some ideas...
https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&tok=S5qSDHXJc0UYpTaPhWhjgQ&cp=6&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=best+bridge+cameras&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=best+b&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=b7fd18220ebaaf5a&bpcl=37189454&biw=1211&bih=641

good luck...

Nikon Coolpix P100 Video Camera?




Madison<3


About the video camera, I was wondering...can i stop the video that i'm recording and then continue it later?


Answer
The P100 isn't a video camera. It's a bridge camera. It's main use is for still photos. But I'm sure if you stop a video you can continue later.
I have the P90. It is limited to filming videos of only 25 minutes long. I'd suggest another camera if your main use will be shooting videos.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment