Saturday, May 17, 2014

I want to video record my college lectures?




Josephine


I'm going to be a junior premed student. I've already asked my professors if it would be ok to record during lectures, and they said its fine. Over the summer I took a Physics class and video recording the lectures to review later really helped with studying.
The only problem is that the battery of my camcorder only lasts about two hours before dying. Is there a camcorder out there that has a longer battery life? I had my camera on the lowest video quality setting and the battery still depleted.
I'm taking organic chemistry, Japanese I, animal physiology, and anatomy, and I want to record all of these classes (about 4 hours total recording time per day). Any options on better camcorders?



Answer
Speaking as one who has retired from a professional career in medicine, I can agree that technology is always tempting, However, you can misuse it too. Even if your professors do not mind being recorded, you are still going to divert your attention far too often from what they are saying in favour of your recording process. In effect you are going to spend twice as long in the learning process, and then where is the rest of your social life?
Do yourself a favour and learn to take notes with a high-tech writing implement and a high-tech paper notebook. Good luck with your studies, and try to avoid buying lots of spare batteries and memory cards.

Lecture videos online?




Dreamy Mer


So i watched a few videos on youtube, and it was a lecture by a harvard professor. Why do they post videos for public use? Don't people pay money to attend lectures? And suppose a student records a lecture for private use, is it legal?


Answer
Why do they post videos for public use?

It's primarily to help students refer back to lecture "notes" in case they don't understand the concept. It also allows for other disadvantaged students who don't have good professors or a college education to learn from their videos.

Don't people pay money to attend lectures?

Yes, students pay tuition which pays for the lectures. Sometimes it can cost 30 dollars or more each lecture.

And suppose a student records a lecture for private use, is it legal?

If you have a professor's permission, then Yes. Many students I know have voice recording devices and very few have cameras. But their main goal is to succeed in the class with whatever it takes. It technically becomes illegal if you don't have the professor's permission. It's all about the professor's consent. If it's allowed, then it's legal. But, most students do it anyway to study. They usually don't get in trouble because they don't send it around or post it online without permission.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment