Saturday, May 25, 2013

What are the benefits of having a video camera to use in the classroom?

Q. I teach first grade at a rural school in Alabama. I want to purchase a video camera so I can record experiments, plays, and learning that is taking place in the classroom. The recordings will then be transferred to the school website for the community to see or to a DVD for students and parents to enjoy. I have to write a GREAT proposal to get the camera. What are other benefits of having a video camera for classroom use? Thanks!

A. This is great for both you and the students. When recording students' plays, upon review the students will be able to monitor their fluency/expression/prosody and then improve it. Repeated performances and viewings will show growth.

Invite local community officials and leaders in to speak to the children and record it. Use this as a model for students to develop a short minute speech about a topic. Record it. Show it back to them. The possibilities are endless.

For science simply tape different environments and have students make observations, compare/ contrast.

Here are a couple of links:

http://content.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=6753
http://www.woodworkingteachers.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=380

As you know already, this benefits you as well. Although all teachers have built in with-it-ness, things still go unnoticed. You will be able to assess students long after the moment has already played out. Also, you will improve by critiquing yourself and delivery to your students.

Good Luck!


I need recommendations for good video camera for home use?
Q. We are currently preparing for the birth of our first child and plan on using a video camera. What cameras would you recommend on purchasing?

A. The Panasonic HDC-SD9 might be what you're looking for!

It's very compact, fits into your jeans' pocket, records in full hd (1920*1080), records 5.1 surround sound, 3 CCD! etc.

It's cheap and a really good buddy. I have one and I prefer it over the Sony PMW-EX1 when I am traveling or taking home videos.

The low-light performs is fair. You can set some settings manually such as the white balance, shutter and iris.

I hope I could help you and wish you the best!!


How do I compress or make a file of a family movie smaller to be used to attach and send through email?
Q. I have a small videos of my children that I took with my kodak easy share digital camera, one is 38 seconds and the other is 45 seconds long. My mom lives in another country and I haven't seen her in seven years and she had moved away before I met and married my husband and had babies (now 3yr old and 1yr old). Because she has never seen my babies I'm always emailing pics that I took with my new kodak easy share camera...I noticed just a few days ago that I could also record my children on it like a video camera but with no sound. I tried emailing them as attachments but on both my yahoo and msn emails, they only attach a max. of 10 mb and even though these are small videos they are like 11 - 13 mb so I'm wondering if there is a way to make them smaller, please, so that my mom can see her grandbabies for the first time moving around playing, instead of being still in a picture.

A. I think you can right click the folder then compress into a zip or rar file....the other person has to have the proper program to run it though. I may be wrong on this though....





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment