Tuesday, October 8, 2013

When shooting audio on a DSLR is it best to record dual audio recordings with camera mounted microphone?

best video camera for recording interviews
 on ... Microphone Conference Professional recording mic access Video Camera
best video camera for recording interviews image
Q. I am wanting to shoot some interviews with my DSLR. Should I make audio recordings with a camera mounted rode microphone, as well as a separate wireless microphone system that could later be synced with the video?

What is the best way to record audio for interview? I want to have just one system for the dynamic environments I may interview in.

Thank you :)


Answer
If video is important, then a camcorder is preferred. It is designed to capture video. And audio. capturing still images is a secondary "convenience feature".

If stills are important, than use a still image capture device. Like a dSLR. Capturing video (and audio is a secondary "convenience feature". For example, if you read the documentation the Canon dSLRs you listed, you will find they will overheat when capturing video "for prolonged periods" (about 15 minutes maximum) and stop video capture until it cools down (takes a long time)... or... check their built-in (mono) mic and no (or extremely limited) manual audio control. This means no stereo without an external mic and adding something like a XLR adapter (~$350 from juicedLink or BeachTek) to plug into the stereo audio input + use the audio gain controls... or... use an external audio recording device like a Zoom H2, H2n, H4n and take the extra steps to import and sync the audio when editing...

Basically you can easily end up spending more money and (learning) time you would not spend if you use the right tool for the task.

I am not saying any dSLR can't capture good video - they can - but they cannot be treated like a camcorder. There are workarounds for lots of things that you normally don't need to worry about when using a camcorder...

To answer your questions specifically, it depends how important the project is. If the audio captured by the camera is useful, then using the externally recorded audio may not be needed. I have found that a camera mounted mic for interviews is not the only - or best - way to capture that audio. Having the mic element closer to the audio source (by using a wireless lavalier) can be beneficial.

Is there a reason not to use the "separate wireless microphone system" connected to the camera? You can have a back-up audio recording if you use an external audio recorder (like a Zoom H2, H2n, H4n or any number of external recording devices from Marantz, Tascam, Edirol and many others. Is this what you are expecting the wireless mic to connect? It does not need to be a separate system...

The clip on lavalier connects with a thin wire to a body pack; the body pack transmits the wireless audio to a base station; the base station plugs into... the camera's audio in or the audio recorder... I like the Sennheiser G3 portable (battery powered base station) systems...

What is a good digitial video camera that isn't too expensive I can use to record my travels?







I want something with a pretty good battery life, easy to operate and easy to carry. Not to technical in that I'm a novice. Lastly something that can easily connect to microphones in that I'll be interviewing people as I meet them in my travels.


Answer
I found the KODAK Zi6 to be a very handy camera, both picture quality and decent sound. After transferring the video to my pc for dvd burning, I found the picture to be of a much higher quality than my 5 year old handheld Sony model. It is far easier to carry around due to it's size and easy to control. I do not plan on using under low light or distant filming, as I realize that this is a limitation of the camera, but for regular indoor/outdoor films, this camera will do the trick.I found the cheapest online,here is the link
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d46840&ru=2900132
Hope you like it!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment