Saturday, May 18, 2013

Looking for a professional video camcorder for independent film making?

Q. I'm looking for a professional video camera that can be used for an independent feature film. I want image quality that I can be proud of so that I can send my work off to a Film Festival. My budget is between $2000-3000 and don't want to go over $5000. The camera MUST have a place to plug in an external microphone and must come with a lens (hopefully a detachable one). I'd like for the camera to be used on multiple brands of tripods and dolly equipment.

A. My definition of "professional video camcorder includes:
Lens filter diameter 70mm or larger
Imaging chip (preferably 3CCD, though 3CMOS is acceptable)

When you find the camcorder with these attributes, all the other stuff is included:
audio input
manual audio gain control
separate manual focus and zoom rings on the lens barrel
XLR audio connectors
lots of other stuff.

An interchangeable lens system can be found on the low end using dSLR cameras and a few prosumer camcorders... or *really* high end camcorders. Your price range is the low end of pro-grade camcorders and includes the prosumer Sony HDR-FX1000 and pro Canon XHA1. We don't know which tripods or dollys you'll be using, but generally the standard 1/4" thread mount is available and standard.

A person with experience, skill and a compelling story can provide great results. A person with no experience and skill generally won't - it does not matter how good the equipment is.

Tip: You should be recording the audio externally - not depending on the camcorder's audio recording subsection (other than for synching the external audio)...

Depending on the Film Festival you plan to enter, it is very possible your "competition" is using equipment like the Red Epic or something from Silicon Imaging.


is the canon rebel t3 a professional camera?
Q. I'm going to a concert soon at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. This is what the website said about cameras, "Still cameras (non-professional) are allowed at sporting events, including Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Dream games. Professional cameras and any audio and video recording devices are prohibited at all events." and I have a Canon Rebel T3. Am I allowed to bring this camera to the arena, or a I not? HELP PLEASE!

A. As Crim previously stated, the T3 is not a professional camera, but security guards generally classify any big looking camera as "professional." They might even consider a Powershot a professional model... Just take a little point & shoot or use your cell phone


What's the best budget/business user digital camera for video blogging?
Q. I'm looking to buy a digital camera. I'm a novice at best, but want something with professional looking photos and a good video recording capability (Audio is a must also.) What are your recommendations?
I'm leaning towards the Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS. Thanks in advance!

A. The Canon 300 HS is a fine choice. If you like it, then stick with it. I'd also suggest going to a nearby camera/electronic store to try out some for yourself though.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment