Thursday, May 2, 2013

How can I record Video and Audio separately?

Q. I have a video camera that I would like to use due to it's high quality video, but since I am recording myself doing vocal covers for youtube, I have a rock band mic plugged into a usb port on my computer and would like to use the audio from that. I don't want to record them separately, I just want the video to be taken from the camera and the audio to be taken from the mic. Is there any way to do this?

A. Sure, in fact it is the preferred way as consumer grade camcorders don't record audio very well, especially music and singing. When you begin your recording session, use a sound marker; I use a clapper board but you can use a hand clap (my friend uses a dog training clicker). When you edit your video, add your mic'ed recoding to the time-line and after you line it up with the video (and audio) track and match the "clap", then delete the audio track of the video. If you mess up, you can always use the Back function of your editor (the editor doesn't actually edit the original video file, it makes a copy to work with).


How could my band record music with good quality?
Q. We only have an HD video camera and we use the sound recording option. we want to get noticed but we don't have enough money yet to go to a studio in town.

A. download audacity, its free. you can record each track individually (guitar, vocals, etc) with the camera then mix it together in audacity when you upload it to a computer


What should I use to record Vocals and Piano at home?
Q. I have a Youtube channel. I've been using my webcam to upload my music but the quality is TERRIBLE. My piano sounds like death. What are so inexpensive things I could use to record myself, and maybe sound a bit better? I have a nice video camera. But what about a microphone, or things like that..

A. If you're looking for something cheap, a USB mic is the way to go. Good ones: Blue Snowball, Blue yeti, AT2020.
A better but more expensive way:
Audio interface (Mackie Blackjack or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) + Blue encore 100

Message to Kalvin: Don't "thumb down" other answers just because you think your answer is the best. Of course the Snowball (and any other USB mic) won't get pro results, but it is cheap and is enough for someone who just want something better than a webcam mic.
In a perfect world everyone should be using a U87 connected to a UA preamp, but that's not how it works in the real world.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment